Most children like to make paper airplanes, and many adults who are kids at heart enjoy it too. But in fact, not all of them know how to make a good paper airplane that will not go into a power dive right after you launch it.
We will explain you how to construct a cool airplane without special tools using a regular piece of paper. You do not have to be an expert in origami1 to make it. Just follow our step-by-step simple instructions.
1. Grab a standard piece of white or colored paper. Of course, you can buy special paper for making airplanes but it is not obligatory if you just want to have fun. Pay attention to its proportion. It should be about 3:4. Fold the sheet vertically in half and crease it.
2. Now you should open your piece of paper. Lay it with the crease being vertical. Fold its top corners inwards. They will form a kind of right triangles. Their vertical sides must meet along the crease, and the horizontal sides must be on a straight line.
3. Fold them down like it is shown in the picture. The upper and lower lines of your piece should be parallel.
4. Now fold the newly-created top corners to the center (see the picture).
5. Fold up the small triangle that you have in the lower part. It will secure the two flaps that you have just made.
6. Fold the piece in half again. Do it along your vertical crease made in the first step. All the previous folds should face outwards. They will be at the bottom of your airplane.
7. Form the wings of the plane by folding both flaps. Make sure that they are aligned with each other and the bottom part.
8. Unfold them a bit. They must be perpendicular to the airplane's body. The upper surface of both wings should be flat.
Your paper airplane is ready! It is high time to test it out. If you have made some mistakes in the process of making the airplane, it will not fly fast or far. Try to find out where you have been wrong and construct a better model.
Now that you know how to make paper airplanes, we will give you some useful tips:
If you do not have a ruler close at hand, a plastic card can be used instead of it for making the creases straight and crisp.
If the airplane flies badly, do not be in a hurry to throw it away and start making another one. Try to tape its wings together. Maybe you will need a bit of glue.
You should better fly your airplane from some high place when the weather is fair.
If you pinch the ends of the airplane's wings slightly, it will fly moving up and down.
Though your airplane is made of paper it can cause serious injures if it strikes at anyone's face. So you should be careful.